Department of HISTORY AND WAR STUDIES
Mahmoud Yakubu – B.A (Hons.) History (University of Sokoto), M.Phil. International Relations (University of Cambridge), D.Phil. History (University of Oxford). He is Professor of Political History and International Studies. Yakubu is an expert in Guerrilla Warfare, Terrorism and Counter Terrorism. He teaches War and Society in Pre – Colonial Africa. A foremost scholar and administrator, Professor Yakubu is the executive secretary of TEFUND Education Trust Fund.
- A.M. Yakubu (1996), an Aristocracy in Political Crisis: The End of Indirect Rule and the Emergence of Party Politics in the Emirates of Northern Nigeria, Aldershot: Avebury for the University of Warwick, “The Making of Modern Africa” Series
- A.M. Yakubu, Sa’adu Zungur: An Anthology of His Social and Political Writings, Ibadan: Spectrum Books Ltd.
- A.M. Yakubu and M.M. Jumare, (1997), Abdurrahman Mora: The Life and Legacy of a Great Teacher, Kaduna: Baraka Press 1997
- Defence Studies: Journal of Nigerian Defence Academy (Issues on ECOMOG) Vol.6 No2
- Nigeria: The State of the Nation and the Way Forward, Ahmadu Bello University Press 1996,266 (co-edited with AB Dambazau and MM Jumare.
- The United Nations at 50 (Kaduna Polytechnic, 1998) (co-edited with S. Ladan, R. A Mohammmed and A Adekeye
ARTICLES AND REVIEWED JOURNALS
- “Coercing old Guard Emirs in Northern Nigeria: The Abdication of the Yakubu III of Bauchi 1954” African Affairs Vol. 92 No. 369 Oct. 1993, UK, pp593-604
- “The Abdication of Yakubu III: A Reply” African Affairs Vol. 94 No.376, UK, July. 1995 pp407-409
- Emirs and Soldiers: The Response of the Emirate Aristocracies of Northern Nigeria to the Coup d’état of 1966” Journal of the Arewa House Kaduna, Vol1. No.1
- “Exploiting Administrative Indecision: The Succession of Mohammadu Sanusi to the Emirship of Kano Emirate (Northern Nigeria) 1953” FAIS Journal of Humanities, Bayero University Kano, Vol1. No.1
- ” Airpower in the Gulf War: A Comment” Defence Studies Vol5. No.5 (July 1995), pp.119-124
- “Land Power in the Gulf War: An Observation’’ Defence Studies Vol6. No.1, pp.128-132
- “Sea Power in the Gulf War: An Overview” Defence Studies Vol. 7 July 1997
CHAPTERS IN BOOK
- “Violence and the Acquisition of the Slave in Bauchi Emirate 1805- 1900” in T. Falola and R. Law (eds), Warfare and Diplomacy in Pre-Colonial Nigeria: Essays in Honour of Robert Smith Wisconsin, 1992, pp.145-146
- “The Demise of Indirect Rule in the Emirate of Northern” in T.O Ranger & O. Vaughan (eds) Legitimacy and the State in Twentieth Century Africa: Essays in the Honour of A.H.M Kirk – Greene, London & Basingstoke, 1993, pp 162-190.
- “Introduction to the Gregg Revival edition of S. J Hogben & A.H.M Kirk – Greene”, The Emirate of the Northern Nigeria: A Preliminary Survey of their Historical Tradition, Aldershot, England, 1993, p.v.xv
- “Internal and External Sources for the Study of the Political History of the Northern Nigerian Emirate, 1950-1960: The Significance of British and the Nigeria National Archives” in Y.B Usman & G Kwanashie (eds), Inside Nigerian History, Zaria 1995, pp307-335
“The Scourge of War and the Search for Peace: Background to the Emergence of the United Nation in A.M Yakubu et al (eds), The United Nation at 50, Kaduna Polytechnic, 1997, pp 11-121
- Reviews published in African Affairs, the Journal of the British Royal African Society Published by the Oxford University Press
- Sir G Bell, an Imperial Twilight, London Lester Crook, 1989, Vol.89 No.354, pp 126-127
- P.K Tibenderana, Sokoto Province under the British Rule , 1903- 1939: Studies in Institutional Adaptation and Culturalisation of a Colonial Society in Northern Nigeria, Ahmadu Bello University Press 1988, Vol. 89 No.357, October1990, pp 613-614
- A Mora(ed), Abubakar Imam Memoirs, Zaria Northern Nigeria Publishing Company, Ltd 1989, Vol.91, No. 362, Jan 1992 pp.152-153
- A.R. Augi & S.U Lawal (eds), Studies in the History of the People of the Zuru Emirate, Enugu, Fourth Dimension, 1990, Vol.91 No. 362 January 1992, pp 147-149
- R.B.Charlick, Niger: Personal Rule and Survival in the Sahel, Boulder & Aldershot, Westview and Dartmouth 1991, Vol. 91, No.363, April 1992, pp307-308
- T.Clarke , A Right Honourable Gentleman: Abubakar from the Black Rock, Sevenoaks, Edward Arnold 1991, Vol.91, No. 365, October 1992, pp646-648
- H.Hayatu (ed), 50 Years of Truth: The Story of Gaskiya Corporation 1939-1991, Zaria Northern Publishing Company Ltd,1991, Vol.92 No. 366, January 1993, pp148-150
- James H.Vaughan & A.H.M Kirk –Greene, The Diary of Haman Yaji Chronicles of the West African Muslim Ruler, Indiana, University of Indiana Press ,1995 Vol.95, October 1996, pp.612-614
- Ladi Adamu, Hafsatu Ahmadu Bello: The Unsung Heroine, Kaduna, Adam Books.1995, Vol. 95 381 October 1996, pp. 614-615.
- Alkali, Issues in International Relations and Nigeria’s Foreign Policy, Zaria, Bob Academic Press 1996, Vol. 96 No.382, January 1997, pp.143-144.
- Mohammed Kamil, Rendez- vous: An Authorised Biography of Chief Justice Mohammed Bello, Lagos, Malthouse Press, 1995.Vol 96, No.382, January 1997, pp.144-145.
- Reviews published in the Journal of Modern African Studies published by Cambridge University Press
- Malami, Sir Siddique Abubakar III: 17th Sultan of Sokoto, Ibadan & London, Evan Brothers ,1989, Vol. 28 No.1, March 1990, pp157-158
- J.Boyd , The Caliph’s Sister, Nana Asma’u: Teacher, Poet and Islamic Leader, London & Totowa, Frank Cass, 1989, Vol. 28 No.2, June 1990, pp337-339
- J.R Willis, In the Path of Allah: The Passion of al –Hajj Umar – An Essay into the Nature of the Charisma in Islam, London, Frank Cass 1989, Vol. 28 No.4, December 1990, pp.713-714
- Williks, Wa and the Wala: Islam and the Polity in Northwestern Ghana, Cambridge, Cambridge University Press 1989, Vol. 29 No.2, June 1991, pp.325-326
- B.M. Barkindo , The Sultanate of Mandare to 1902: History of the Evolution, Development and Collapse of a Central Sudanese Kingdom, Stuggart , Franz Steiner Verlag,1989, Vol. 29 No.4 December 199,1 pp.706-708
- D.Rimmer (ed), Africa 30 years On: The Record and the Outlook after Thirty Years of Independence ,London, James Currey for the Royal African Society, 1910, Vol. 30 No.30 (September 1992, pp.511-512
- P.Manning, Slavery and African Life: Occidental, Oriental and African Slave Trade, Cambridge, Cambridge University Press 1993, Vol. 31 No.3, September 1993, pp.523-525.
- T.Tamuno, Peace and Violence in Nigeria: Conflict Resolution in Society and the State, Lagos: Federal Government Printer, 1992, Vol 31 No.4, December 1993, pp.699-700.