The Faculty of Military Science and Interdisplinary Studies (FMSIS) was established to response to the swiftly fluctuating borders of defence and emerging security challenges of the digital age from the fields of military engagement to national development. It was crucial for Nigerian Defence Academy as the only military university in West Africa, to establish a faculty for systematic studies to tackle the evolving demands on defence and technology induced security needs of our country. The Faculty is strategic and fundamental in repositioning NDA as a degree awarding institution with unique character and identity, gradually moving it from conventional university in terms of generic academic provisions. It is a flagship in the articulation and re-alignment of curriculum within the departments, civil and military institutions and services of the Nigerian Armed Forces. FMSIS Postgraduate programmes are aimed at developing students with skills and knowledge in specialized courses using interdisciplinary approach. The Faculty would be a leading academic centre and a community of innovative scholars and forward thinkers with quality education to channel and participate in cutting-edge technologies and in changing the future intelligence, computing, cyber security, security science and technologies.
In 2019, Computer Science was moved from the Faculty of Science to FMSIS and Logistics and Supply Chain Management was moved to Faculty of Management. Department of Intelligence and Cyber Security was split into Department of Cyber Security and Department of Intelligence Security Studies.
BACKGROUND OF THE FACULTY
FMSIS is one of the faculties in Nigerian Defence Academy (NDA). The establishment of the Faculty was in response to the swiftly fluctuating borders of defense and emerging security challenges of the digital age from the fields of military engagement to national development. It was crucial for Nigerian Defence Academy as the only military University in West Africa and the first in Africa, to establish a faculty for systematic studies to tackle the evolving demands on defense and technology induced security needs of our country. Wars are fought and prevailed in the same way peace are negotiated and maintained with intelligence, adequate finesse in relevant skills, efficient logistic support and scientific technological innovation.The Faculty is strategic and fundamental in repositioning NDA as a degree awarding institution with unique character and identity, gradually moving it from conventional university in terms of generic academic provisions to accommodate new thinking in cutting edge interdisciplinary research and development. It is to be the flagship in the articulation and re-alignment of curriculum from within and across departments, conventional institutions, military institutions and services of the Nigerian Armed Forces. The motto of the Faculty is “Knowledge for Excellence, Security and Service.”
Among the departments in the Faculty are Computer Science, Cyber Security, Intelligence and Security Studies and lastly Military Science and Technology. The Faculty intends to run professional and academic courses in line with the NDA and PGS vision and mission. The current programmes are Postgraduate Diploma in Computer Science, Postgraduate Diploma in Cyber Security, Postgraduate Diploma in Intelligence Security Studies, Academic Masters in Computer Science (MSc) and Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) and Professional Masters in Cyber Security.
The Faculty has as its dean Navy Captain/Associate Professor Isah Rambo Saidu Professor of Computer Science (Networking and Network Security). He works closely with a dynamic and experienced team of academic, technical and administrative staff who oversee the academic, extracurricular and administrative aspects of the Faculty. The Head of Computer Science Dr AE Evwiekpaefe, the Head of Department Cyber Security Navy Captain/Associate Professor Isah Rambo Saidu and the Head of Department Intelligence Security Studies Maj Isa Awwal PhD effectively and efficiently coordinates their postgraduate programmes with their PG Coordinators and staff.
VISION OF THE FACULTY
To produce competitive postgraduate students and technologies that can leapfrog the country’s digital and physical security development, the operational efficiencies and technological advancement capabilities of the public and the military necessary for transforming the Nigeria’s security and military realities in line with current digital advancement, innovation and knowledge economy.
MISSION OF THE FACULTY
To develop and provide cutting-edge military science and technology education program to equip our postgraduate students with competitive 21 century capacities to innovatively meet the everyday operational efficiency and technological advancement requirements necessary in transforming Nigeria’s security civil and military realities for a digitally and physically secure Nigeria.
To integrate the art of combining knowledge of humanities, natural sciences as well as applied sciences and engineering in pursuit of the programme set objectives.
FMSIS is aimed at developing Officer Students with military skills and knowledge in specialized courses in social sciences, science and technology using interdisciplinary approach.
OBJECTIVES OF THE FACULTY
- Cognizant of the invaluable and progressive roles of contemporary military in National Defence and Security, FMSIS has the primary objective of running professional military courses that can enhance the attainment of these and other national interests.
- Provision of degree programmes in specialised areas of military professionalism that are not properly articulated in conventional tertiary institutions.
- Formulating courses and continuous learning programmes to upgrade the competency of the Officer Students to enable them actively fit into modern armed forces in a defence and security challenged environment.
- Enhancing research capability that commensurate with the national and international needs, and cognisant of world best practices.
- Integration of teaching, training, research and dissemination of knowledge in pursuit of the Academy’s vision and mission; and create avenues for strategic collaborations with other defence institutions in Nigeria and across the world.
- Organisation of conferences, symposia and workshops on issues relating to military science and inter-disciplinary studies, and in the process, promote the development of individual staff as researchers, scholars and professional practitioners.
- Establishment of a formidable liaison between Research and Development with local and foreign entrepreneurs to actualise the products of the researches in concrete terms.
- Promoting innovative designs and prototypes for local fabrication of engineering and biochemical products.
LIST OF DEPARTMENTS IN FMSIS
The FMSIS has four (4) departments, namely
- Computer Science (CSC)
- Cyber Security (CYB)
- Intelligence and Security Science (ISS)
- Military Science (MS).
The Department of Military Science has temporarily been suspended.
CHRONICLE OF FMSIS DEANS
|1.||Professor F N Ogwueleka||Apr 17 – Dec 21|
|2.||Assoc. Prof Capt (NN) IR Saidu PhD||Dec 21till date|