The Nigerian Defence Academy was established in 1964 to train officer cadets who are enlightened military future leaders with strong moral, courageous, creative, critical and resourceful minds. These qualities are developed through the astute combination of academic and military training. The Nigerian Armed Forces of the 21st century would serve in Nigeria and across the country’s boarder. There is need for officers to have qualitative education that can provide them with a firm grasp of the advantages and realities of Science and Technology in a global political system and International Military setup.
The Department is one of the five Departments that makeup the Faculty of Science. At the onset in 1985, the department was standing on its own. In 2005, there was a merger of the department with Computer Science department. Approval was given by NUC to run independent departments of Mathematics and Computer Science which became reality in 2013. Presently, there are fifteen (15) academic staff, made up of Professors, Associate Professors, Senior lecturers and others in diverse areas of Mathematics, Statistics and Operation research.
- To produce officers who are knowledgeable in those areas of Mathematics, Operation Research and Statistics required for the understanding and mastering of modern techniques of warfare.
- Produce officers who can contribute meaningfully to the research and developmental efforts of the armed forces of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
- To ensure competence of the officers in their chosen fields of study through the acquisition of relevant skills.
To become a center of excellence in teaching and research, achievable by the application of Mathematics, Military Operation Research and Statistics to national growth and development.
To instill in Cadets a sense of enthusiasm for mathematics, an appreciation of its application in different areas of Military operations and to involve them in an intellectually stimulating and satisfying experience of learning and studying.
The aim of the Mathematics programme is: To provide Cadets a broad and balanced foundation in mathematics knowledge and practical application in Military concepts and skills.
OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAMME
The objectives of the Mathematic programme are:
- To develop in Cadets the ability to apply their Mathematics knowledge and skills to the solution of theoretical and practical application of modern techniques of warfare.
- To provide Cades with knowledge and skills base from which they can proceed to further studies in specialized areas of mathematics or multi-disciplinary areas involving mathematics.
- To generate in Cadets an appreciation of the importance of mathematics in an industrial, economic, environmental, Military operations and security contexts.