Prof Alabi David Oluwatoba is a Professor in Department of Political Science, Nigerian Defence Academy, Kaduna. He had his first degree in Political Science from the University of Lagos in 1983 and obtained an M.Sc. in International Relations in the Obafemi Awolowo University in 1987. He had a postgraduate Diploma in Education from the University of Ilorin in 1991. He obtained a PhD in Political Science from the Bayero University, Kano in 2002. He joined the services of the Nigerian Defence Academy, Kaduna in March 1991 and rose to the rank of Professor in October 2010. He has over 31 years experience in federalism, Conflict management and strategic studies. He has successfully supervised various PhD, M.Sc. and undergraduate students in the field of Defence and Strategic Studies.
At the NDA, Prof Alabi has held various positions notable among them include Head of Department, Political Science and Defence Studies; Dean Faculty of Arts & Social Sciences. He has also chaired various committees in the Academy. He currently teaches courses both at the undergraduate and postgraduate levels in the Academy. He is a member of various Professional Bodies/Association including: Member, Nigerian Political Science Association; Member, African Political Science Association; Member, Nigerian Society of International Affairs; Member, African Strategic and Peace Research Group (AFSTRAG); Member, Society for the Advancement of Social Research in Nigeria.
Prof Alabi is a prolific scholar and a writer who has authored numerous books, articles, journals, and monograms. He has attended and presented papers in different conferences and seminars both locally and internationally. He has delivered many community services and also embarked on Study tours to different parts of the world and has extensively carried out a Ford foundation funded research on the Ijaw-Ilaje Crisis in the riverine areas of Ondo State. He has also conducted an in-depth research on Kaduna State in Nigeria with special reference to crisis and conflict. He has also conducted researchers on conflict management and development in the Central and East African Economic communities.
Professor Alabi has published widely in National and Foreign Journals. He has chapters in books, and has published six books. In 1999, he published his first book, ‘Topics on Government and Politics’. In 2003, he co-authored a book with Professor Kamilu Fage titled ‘Political and Constitutional Development in Nigeria’. He also solely published the Nigerian Political Economy in 2009 (a 412-page book), Nigerian Government and Politics (2016) is Elements of Politics and Strategic Studies (2018). Currently he is writing another book on Theories of International Relations and Strategic Studies.
- PhD- Bayero University, Kano Nigeria Ph.D in Political Science 2002
- MSc- Obafemi Awolowo University Ile Ife, Nigeria. MSc International Relations 1987
- PGDE- University of Ilorin, Nigeria. Postgraduate Diploma in Education, 1991.
- BSc- University of Lagos, Nigeria. BSc Political Science 1983
- Alabi, D.O. (2021). Federalism and Nigeria’s National Question. Kaduna: Joyce Publishers.
- Alabi, D.O. (2020) The Falling Moon. Kaduna: Joyce Publishers.
- Alabi, DO 2018 Elections of Politics and Strategic studies, Kaduna: Joyce Publishers.
- Alabi, D.O. (2018). Elements of Politics and Strategic Studies. Kaduna: Joyce Publishers.
- Alabi, D.O. (2015), A Hopeful Tomorrow. Kaduna: Joyce Publishers.
- Alabi, D.O. (2012) The Nigerian Political Economy. Kaduna: Joyce Publishers.
- Alabi, D.O. (2009), The Nigerian Political Economy (1983-2003), Kaduna: Joyce Printers and Publishers.
- Alabi. DO 1999. Topics on Government and Politics. Zaria: Northern Printers
- Alabi, D.O. and SK Fage (2016) Nigerian Government and Politics. Kaduna: Joyce Publishers.
- Fage, K.S. & Alabi, D.O. 2003 Political and Constitutional Development in Nigeria: From Pre-Colonial to Post-Colonial Era Kano: Northern Printers Ltd
- C.N. Ubah, Bala Dogo & D.O. Alabi (eds) 2008, Studies on Kaduna State, Kaduna: Ply-Mak Publishers.
CHAPTERS IN BOOK
- Alabi, D.O. (1999) The Politics of Foreign Intervention in Nigerias Internal Affairs in Aderinto, A.A. And Ubah, C.N. (eds) Nigeria and the Contemporary World, Kaduna: NDA Press, pp 135-149.
- Alabi, D.O. & K.S. Fage (2002) The Nigerian Defence Policy in a Democratic Setting: Keeping the Soldiers Within the Barracks in Fage, K.S. (ed.) Democracy in Nigerias Fourth Republic: Myths, Realities, Challenges and Prospects Kano: Triumph Press, pp 161-191.
- Alabi, D.O. (2002) The Economic Challenges of the Nigerias Fourth Republic, in Fage K.S. (ed) Democracy in Nigerias Fourth Republic: Myths, Realities, Challenges and Prospects Kano: Triumph Press pp 104-131.
- Alabi, D.O. (2005) The Nigerian Federalism and the Management of Ethno-Religious Crises in C.N. Ubah et al (ed) Crisis and Conflict Management in Nigeria Since 1980, Kaduna: NDA Press. Pp. 563-574
- Alabi, D.O. (2006) Federalism and the Quest for National Development in H.A. Saliu et. al. (eds) Democracy and Development in Nigeria, Ibadan: University Press. Pp. 46-72
- Alabi, D.O. (2007), The Impact of the Ijaw-Ilaje Conflict on Women and Children, in O. Ibeanu & J.G. Sanda (eds) Women, Children and Internal Conflict in Nigeria Ibadan: HEBN Publishers Plc.
- Alabi, D.O. (2008), Ethno-Religious Conflicts in Kaduna State in C.N. Ubah, B. Dogo & D.O. Alabi (eds.), 2008, Studies on Kaduna State, Kaduna: Ply-Mak Publishers (pp 349-372).
- Alabi, D. O. (1995), Book reviewed: Transition to Democracy in Nigeria, 1985-1993 in Defence Studies: Journal of the Nigerian Defence Academy, Vol. 5, July, 1995. PP 146-147.
- Alabi, D.O. (1994), The Rwandan Crisis: Implications for Unity and Political Stability in Nigeria. Pp 118-129. ECPER Journal for Political and Economic Studies Vol II nos 3.
- Alabi, D.O. (1995), The National Question and the Basis of Political Stability in Nigeria: A Critical Analysis, Spectrum Journal, Vol. 2 Nos 1 and 2 pp 161-171.
- Alabi, D.O. (1999) A Critical Analysis of the Socio-Economic and Political Legacies of the Abacha Regime: Spectrum Journal, Vol. 1 No 1 pp 15-25.
- Alabi, D.O. (2002) Nigeria and the Challenges of Democracy Towards the Survival of the Fourth Republic Arts & Social Research NDA Vol 2 No.1. pp 85-101.
- Alabi, D.O. (2002) Religious Conflicts in Northern Nigerian: A Critical Analysis, India Quarterly Journal of World Affairs Vol. LVIII Nos 3 & 4 July-December, pp 273-302.
- Alabi, D.O. (2002) Emerging Trends and Dimensions of the Rwanda Crisis African Journal of International Affairs & Development, Vol, 7 (1), City University, pp 40-65.
- Alabi, D.O. (2004) Globalization and Nigeria’s Development Issues and Challenges ECPER Journal of Social Studies, Vol.3, No.4.
- Alabi, D. O. (2004) The National Question and the Nigeria’s Fourth Republic. Political Science Review. Department of Political Science University of Ilorin. Vol. 2, No. 5. PP 68-87.
- Alabi, D.O. (2007) Defence Policy, Military Professionalism and the Development Question in Nigeria. The Academy Journal of Defence Studies, Vol 14, 2007.